Kadriorg 290

May 24 – April 26, 2009

 

Kadriorg Palace and Kadriorg Park will celebrate the 290th anniversary this year. The jubilee will be marked out by the exhibition “The Palace and Its Story” at Kadriorg Art Museum, accompanied by a series of guided tours and lectures within the Saturday Academy, the premier of a documentary in July and a richly illustrated album on Kadriorg Palace coming out at the end of the year.

kadriorg-290-1

The events of the anniversary, taking place at Kadriorg Art Museum and in Kadriorg Park, will be described in a special edition “Kadriorg 290” issued on May.

kadriorg-290-2

The history of Kadriorg Palace – one of the finest Baroque ensembles in North Europe – dates back to 1718. On July 22, 1718 Russian Tsar Peter the Great, assisted by the Italian architect Niccolo Michetti, began the building of the palace and the park to a picturesque spot near Tallinn, later on renamed Kadriorg after Empress Catherine I.

kadriorg-290-3

In the course of centuries, Kadriorg has hosted Russian tsars and members of the imperial family and provided summer shelter for the Governor General of Estonia. In 1921–1929 the building housed the Art Museum of Estonia; in the early 1930’s, the place was redecorated into the residence of the President of Estonia. The palace, again an art museum after World War II, was renovated in the 1990’s and reopened as Kadriorg Art Museum in the year 2000.

kadriorg-290-4

Kadriorg has played an important role in Estonian history and culture as the meeting place of culture and politics, high art and folk culture. It is a place of considerable significance for local population and the guests of Estonia, an integral part of Tallinn and whole Estonia.

kadriorg-290-5

The jubilee season is launched by the exhibition “The Palace and Its Story”, spotlighting authentic objects, documents, works of art, blueprints and pictures, thus illustrating the historic layers of the palace and entertaining the visitors with the air of the past centuries.

Curator: Aleksandra Murre

Designer: Vladimir Anšon

Sponsors: Cultural Endowment of Estonia, Ministry of Culture, Merko Ehituse AS, Dunkri Kaubanduse AS

Media partners: Eesti Päevaleht, День за Днем